If you have followed my blog for awhile, then you know health and wellness is one thing I am very passionate about! It started years ago after I battled an eating disorder and learned I’d rather be healthy and strong, then skinny. Many years later, I am so thankful I learned that lesson as one of the joys of an autoimmune disease can be weight gain. No matter what you do. Funny part is though, that no longer bothers me. 10 years ago? Oh yes!! Big time!! But now my battle is on a deeper level as I work every day to keep my body from giving in to this horrible disease. It’s kinda crazy how such a bad situation, can help you focus on what really matters!
As I work each day to help my body fight this disease, I’ve come across many interesting way to use natural ingredients to improve your health. One of those is coconut oil! I heard of it a few years ago, mostly when people talked about “oil pulling” but when I began to be very careful with what I eat, I discovered coconut oil was a great alternative for butter and oils! The more I used it, the more I found other benefits it had!! At first, I wasn’t sure I could use it as I can’t stand coconut, but it doesn’t have that strong of a taste to me and blends well with foods!
10 Benefits Of Coconut Oil
One of the top benefits I learned coconut oil has is with heart health!
“Coconut oil is high in natural saturated fats. Saturated fats not only increase the healthy cholesterol (known as HDL cholesterol) in your body, but also help convert the LDL “bad” cholesterol into good cholesterols. By Increasing the HDL in the body, it helps promote heart health and lower the risk of heart disease.”
“Coconut is full of diverse health benefits from protecting against heart diseases to preventing tooth decay! … Protect against heart disease by increasing good cholesterol and lowering the ratio of bad and good cholesterol. Helps treat malnutrition because it is easy to digest and absorb.”
Some of the other top benefits of coconut oil are:
- Balance Hormones
- Burns Fat
- Improves Cholesterol
- Balances Blood Sugar
- Improves Energy
- Better Digestion
- Boost Immune System
- Skin Moisturizer
- Improves Heart Health
- Reduces Hair Loss And Damage
Those are a lot of benefits just by using coconut oil! Its easy to add it into your daily use, not very expensive, and you can use it in many different ways! My person favorite is I cook my meats and veggies in it! I don’t use butter anymore, but really this tastes much better to me! Plus it has so many healthy side effects. Here are some other suggestions on how you can use it….
- Cream for your coffee! I know this sounds weird, but a spoonful of coconut oil along with a little vanilla extract….tastes AMAZING!
- Sautéing your foods using coconut oil! I also spread some of it on a baking dish when I cook fish or chicken in the oven!
- Smoothie- add a tablespoon or two to a smoothie!
- Toast- I make gluten free bread from time to time and I learned that coconut oil actually tastes better on it then butter!
- Sweet Potato Topping- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil plus some cinnamon goes great on a baked sweet potato
- Popcorn- Most people put butter on it, but you can also do coconut oil instead!
- Cooking- When a recipe calls for oil, you can substitute it for coconut oil instead!
- Lip Balm! You can find recipes online on how to make homemade lip balm using coconut oil!
- Homemade Toothpaste- I’m not a fan of making stuff myself (not enough time) but with coconut oil, if you have the time, you can make just about any of your personal care products!
- Oil Pulling- This is a very popular one as it helps improve the health of your mouth just by swishing coconut oil! You do have to do it for awhile though…..
- Energy Pick Me Up- a spoonful of coconut oil and some chia seeds make for a great afternoon energy increase!
As you can see, coconut oil has a ton of benefits and can be used in many different ways! Of course if you don’t like any of those, you can always just eat a spoonful of it and call it a day! My favorite place to buy coconut oil is Aldi’s! Its cheap, organic, and right around the corner from my house! If you don’t have an Aldi’s near you, more stores are beginning to carry it! Just look for an organic or natural brand, and compare prices! Thrive Market online is another place you can get a good quality one, or stores like Trader Joes and Whole Foods.
Give it a try and see what you think!