Before having kids, I felt I led a very busy life! I usually worked more than one job, and if I wasn’t working, then I was also taking college classes. My schedule was crazy and I remember going months without a day off. I thought I was the busiest person in the world. And then I had kids!! Now my favorite moto is Bless this mess as that is what my life is most days!
Bless This Mess
It’s so funny how your life changes in so many different ways when you have kids! Gone where the days of working two jobs, now I had one job…MOM! And that one was a lot of work!! I added in 2 more kids, a college degree, and working from home. The schedule I thought was busy before having kids, looks like a vacation to my schedule now haha! On top of all I do as a Mom and owning a business, I also suffer from an autoimmune disease which causes me to be sick often, and exhausted daily. So how do Mom’s like myself balance everything??? This is a question I get daily!
- I’m a big list maker! I do this every week and it helps me look at what is on the list and decide what really needs to get done, and what is just a “want”. The “wants” normally keep getting pushed back on the list as I have learned to focus on the most important items.
- Plug in to self development and training. As a work from home Mom, it can be hard to stay motivated! I have a great team of people I work with and we do multiple training’s a week. This helps me stay on track, plus I keep an accountability sheet to log my hours of work each week. As a work from home Mom, sometimes you can find the whole week has gone by and you haven’t actually “worked”…it’s easy to do with as busy as Mom’s are!
- Ask for help! Before my autoimmune disease, I use to handle everything. Since then I have learned to ask my husband for help more. I’ve learned it’s ok to have a babysitter sometimes! I’ve learned I don’t have to do it all myself! Now my husband and I split the chorus around the house, which is a huge help for me!
- Learn to say NO! This is a big one for me. When I get asked to do something, my response is usually “Yes” and now, I have learned if I am tired, have too much going on, or just don’t want to, it’s ok to say “NO”!! Especially with an autoimmune disease. Most people have no clue what that is, how it effects me, or how severe it can get! I’ve learned I don’t need to explain myself, if I’m too tired, overwhelmed, or know something would be too much for me, I know say NO! Sure some people get mad, but at the end of the day my health comes at the top of my priority list as my kiddos need a healthy Mom!
- Focus on what you can control. So many things in life are out of our control, and I have learned to dump those things in a file cabinet in my brain, close it, and let it go! If you can’t control it, don’t let it control you! Instead focus on the things in your life and business you do have control over! It’s a freeing feeling to know what you can control!
- Make time for fun! I’m very bad at this as I give 100% and then have little left for me. I’m learning to have a day where I don’t leave the house. Pull out a good book! Go do something I really enjoy. Make time for fun! Life is too short! I recently added on to my back porch and have a huge patio where I love to sit and read while my kids play outside. Normally I would use that time for work, which I still do some, but I also have one day where I just do what I want (within limit of course since I have 3 kids).
- Have a supportive tribe! This is so important I found! You need people who don’t judge you, believe in you, and will support you no matter what you are going through! I love knowing I have people I can go to for anything and they will be there for me. It’s a blessing to have wonderful friends and if you have toxic ones, cut those suckers out ASAP!
Those are just a few of my tips on how I manage life with being a busy Mom and business woman. I think the main key is balance! You never want to be too busy that you forget to have a life, but you also want to reach your goals!! It’s a process no one has perfected, and most people keep adjusting! I know my schedule is constantly changing…and with 3 kids home all summer it will change again. But I wouldn’t trade this crazy life for anything! Bless this mess!