In the years that I have worked from home, I have chatted with thousands of other women trying to be successful and find work from home jobs. One thing I have learned and I’m not afraid to tell people, the work from home industry is NOT for everyone!
Many people in home based businesses would not like me saying that, but I’m a person who believes in honesty. I’ve worked with a lot of women and some have what it takes, and some don’t. It is requires a unique set of skills, but you also need to have the right personality to work from home. Some people do, some people do not, and some people learn how to do it as they go. But even those that might have the best personality in the world, often quite because of the time it can take. You have to be able to see the big picture, the light at the end of a very long tunnel, and trust if you keep going it will pay off!
If you are thinking of starting a work from home job, think about these things before you do. Make sure you have what it takes, and that you put in the work.
- You need to be self motivated. You don’t have a boss, YOU are the boss! You have to motivate yourself each day to work instead of catching up on Real Housewives, to work when your kids are in bed, and to work on the days you don’t feel motivated. Many people won’t work unless they HAVE to, so you have to find ways to motivate yourself each day. You won’t get paid if you don’t work.
- You need to have good time management skills. When you are a parent working from home, often times your schedule depends on your kids. For me, I have to work in the evenings when they go to bed, but I’m not a night person haha. I am exhausted by the time they are in bed and my brain is too tired to think! I learned to put my “brain” tasks on days my husband is home or to get up early to do them. I also make a “to do list” each day and so I’m able to sit down to work and get things done off that list without getting distracted! That allows me to get my work done faster and in the short time frame I have for work.
- You need to have good people skills. Some people might disagree with this one, but I personally think its important! If you are working with others, you need to use manners and be able to communicate well. I’ve had hundreds of people contact me for job information and 75% will not even respond back to me with a “thank you”. That just blows my mind as I was raised to always says please and thank you, especially when someone is taking the time our of their day to help you haha. But how you speak to people, how you relate to them, and how you interact with them can play a huge role! Someone who is kind and helpful, I want to listen to what they have to say! Someone who is short and rude, I am not interested in communicating with them. So always trying and have manners and be kind! You never know, they may refer their friends to you!
- You need to be creative. This is not required to be successful working from home, but I really think it helps a lot! Sometimes you have to come up with new ideas on how to advertise yourself, how to find new customers, how to grow your contact list and being creative can help make it easier! If you are not creative, you can always ask others who successfully work from home for tips as many people are happy to share what they have found works for them.
- You need to be the boss. This is one of the most important skills you need, you need to be able to be a BOSS! You need to keep yourself on track, but you also need to be able to evaluate your own work. Are you working the required hours you need to be each week? Are you doing busy work, or productive work? Are you being honest with yourself about how hard you work? These are things you have to hold yourself accountable for! I have so many people who tell me they weren’t successful working from home, but usually that means they didn’t show up to work! An at home business is the same as an office job, if you don’t work, you won’t get paid! If you work for 15 minutes 3 days a week, that is what you should expect to get paid for! You have to be your own Boss and be willing to look at you work and see how you can improve to help you with your goals.
If you know you would be perfect for working at home, make sure to check out our Work From Home Directory for a job that will be perfect for you!