motivationnoun mo·ti·va·tion \ˌmō-tə-ˈvā-shən\ 1. a : the act or process of motivating Some students need motivation to help them through school.
motivating: to provide with a motive : impel questions that excite and motivate youth She was motivated by a desire to help children.
b: the reason or reasons one has for acting or behaving in a particular way.
Motivation is so incredibly important and is necessary in life to reach certain goals, and yet it seems some people have it and some people don’t!
Why is that?
For the almost 10 years I worked in health and fitness, I saw it all the time. Some people have it, and some don’t. But the great thing is, you can teach yourself to be motivated!!
For me personally, I’ve always been pretty good at motivating myself, but the truth is I usually have a reward for myself at the end! That helps me stay on track, but for others they might need a different way to motivate themselves. They may need a friend to check in and push them or a detailed plan on what happens when they reach their goal. Sometimes, my motivation is gone too when I don’t feel good. I struggle with an autoimmune disease that is pretty severe, and on the bad days where I can hardly sit up, its VERY hard to stay motivated. What helps me on those days to stay motivated, is the hope that sharing my struggles, might help someone else going through the same thing.
Each person is different, so one of my best tips is to find what motivates YOU!! The same thing does not work for everyone, but once you find what works for you, it will help you stay motivated and reach your goals. No matter if they are career related, education related, health related….motivation is needed for everything. And as a parent, it’s something you also want to teach your kids. Here are some of my best tips on staying motivated
1. Write down your goals. Goals and motivation go hand in hand. If you write them down, you can look at them over and over when you lose your motivation.
2. Tell your goals to a friend and ask them to help hold you accountable. You are 78% more likely to stick to your goal if you tell others about it. Plus they can call you out if you lose your motivation.
3. Write down how your life will be better when you hit your goals. This was big for me! If I found success working from home, my kids could take their first ever family vacation! Or do extra coricullar activities! That’s pushed me as it was things my kids would be able to do if I stayed motivated.
4. Make a weekly plan on how to hit your goals. Break down what you need to do, and it helps keep you on track. I make a plan every Sunday night.
5. Reward yourself along the journey. When I hit small goals, I give myself a reward. For example we went on a fun animal Safari we never could have afforded before I started working from home…that was my reward for a job well done.
6. Watch motivational videos from others on a similar journey to yours. I love seeing other people on the same journey as me, and finding out how THEY were able to stay motivated. It also inspires me when I hear of people who have the odds stacked against them, still able to succeed. It motivates me by reminding me that if they could do it, so can I!
7. Ask others to support your goals, and help remind you of them. Involve all your friends and family. The more people who know about your goal, the more to help keep you on track! They can remind you it’s worth it, and why this is so important to you.
8. Lead by example. As a parent, I won’t let my kid quit no matter how hard things get…so I set an example and don’t quit myself either. Yes it’s hard, life is hard, but our kids learn from watching us and one of the best life lessons we can teach is not to quit when things get hard!
9. Take a break…not a month break, but I always take a day or two off where I do nothing but recharge and have time for me. You don’t want to exhaust yourself so you need to have time off! Just don’t make it too long as it can be hard to start again.
10. Believe in yourself. No matter how hard it gets, you deserve to succeed and you can if you keep going and don’t quit. Believing you can reach your goals is one of the best ways to motivate yourself.
And never ever quit!!! That sets you farther back from where you started and sets you up for a cycle of quitting things when they get hard! Stick with it, ask others for help, and try and find new ways to motivate yourself, Your goals are worth all the hard work!