If anyone ever tells you building a work from home business is easy, they are most likely lying!! It’s very hard, but it’s also very rewarding. I have people tell me all the time how “lucky” I am but luck plays NO part at all. It’s about hard work, having a no excuse attitude, and following through. Unfortunately many people aren’t successful working from home because it does require you to motivate yourself….and that can be hard! My first work from home job was as a personal trainer, and with that I learned pretty quickly that most people need someone else to motivate them in order for them to succeed. With a work from home job, you are your own boss! That means working, or not working, relies 100% on you!
How To Succeed At Working From Home
When you are at home all day, it can be easy to get distracted too! That book you wanted to read is calling your name, one more episode on Netflix can’t hurt, scrolling through social media will only take a minute….but before you know it, the whole day has passed by and you got no work done! This is something I hear from people all the time! Or, they spend time doing things they think is work, but it’s really not! One of my best tips is to sit down one day every week, and plan out when you are doing to work, what you need to get done, and how many hours you are going to work. Put activities at the top that make you income! Next follow it by items that could make you income. End it with activities that don’t bring in income. This way, you always get done the things that will bring you money! For me, I love to blog but that doesn’t bring me much income, so it’s always the last item on my list. Sure it might be fun, but If I want to work from home, I have to make an income so that means income producing activities first!
Having a planner can help a ton with scheduling yourself. Here are two of my favorites, Bloom Planner and Academic Planner. I like planners because I can sit down and write what I need to do, plus it allows me to keep everything in one area! I use to keep my kids stuff on one calendar and my work stuff on another….but that was just way too confusing for me! One spot makes it much easier! If you noticed, I use cheap planners because all I need is a space to write, and none of the fancy other items. Plus I want a small one so I can fit it in my purse when I go to appointments.
Another thing I recommend is having an accountability partner when you first get started working from home. Not everyone needs this. Me personally, I’m very good at motivating myself. I did most my college online, hold four certifications in fitness which I did all from home, and built a very successful personally training business online. It’s important to know you own strengths and weaknesses. I’m good at motivating myself, but I’m not good at getting out and meeting new people. That’s something I work on each week as it’s important with a client based job that you keep bringing in new people. To help myself with that, I take my kids to multiple activities plus go to different parks to meet people. I also have goal of starting a networking group in my area soon. Knowing what you are good at and what you need to work on will really help you succeed. If staying on track, working each day, and being productive is something you struggle with, ask for help! I have a few people I check in with a few time a week to see how their work has gone! Never be afraid to ask when you need help.
Here are a few more tips to be successful working from home:
- Participate in training’s. As with any business, to be successful you need to keep learning.
- Share your business with your spouse or a close friend. Telling someone else your goals makes it easier to achieve them.
- Pick a time each week to plan out what you are going to do on each day.
- Keep a to do list of the activities you need to do. Make sure to put income producing activities at the top.
- Set work hours each day. Do not login to social media sites! Just focus on work and work only!
- Ask someone to help you by checking in every few days to see what you have done.
- Be honest with yourself. If you business is not moving forward, is it because YOU aren’t doing the right activities?
- Don’t let excuses stand in your way. Every person has obstacles in life, but the successful ones don’t let those become an excuse.
- Know your strengths and weaknesses and find ways to improve.
- Keep working! Don’t take off for weeks and months, that will set your business backwards and teach your team you aren’t someone to rely on. Lead by example and put in a little work each day.
Working from home can be tough, but anyone can be successful as long as they try and put in the work! I have seen people have crazy hardships come their way, yet they didn’t let that stop them! I have seen people withe very reason to quit, refuse to, and succeed instead! I myself struggle most days as I suffer from an autoimmune disease and am sick quite often….yet I let that drive me to succeed in order to show people, nothing can stop you if you are determined!